Maori Rock Carvings Tour
Glide your kayak over Lake Taupo’s crystal clear waters as you paddle to the awe-inspiring Maori Rock Carvings. Soak in the view across the Lake to 3 live volcano’s while you hear the history of the carvings, various Maori legends and facts of the local area from your guide before enjoying rock jumps and a swim in Australasia’s largest freshwater Lake. A must-do while in Taupo.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday TypeCulture, Discovery, Family, Guided Tours
- Activity Level Moderate
- Group Size Medium Group
Why Kayaking on Great Lake Taupo is A Must-Do:
- One of the world’s six active super volcanoes, created by a massive eruption 26,500 years ago – volcanic activity still takes place in the form of hot pools and vents.
- Largest freshwater Lake in Australasia and equal in size to Singapore.
- Boasts the best views of the North Island’s dual world-heritage site – The Tongariro National Park – home to Mt. Ruapehu, Mt Ngaruahoe (Mt. Doom) and Mt. Tongariro.
- Plays host to one of New Zealand’s most extraordinary art pieces, only accessible by boat – with Kayaks getting you the closest. Carved in the early 1970’s and standing 14 metres above the crystal clear waters of Lake Taupo, the Mine Bay Maori Rock Carvings are a must-see while in New Zealand.
- Transport to and from Taupo town centre
- Kayak instruction
- All kayaking equipment
- Experienced, knowledgable and passionate tour guides
What you need to bring:
- Comfortable clothing and footwear (Your feet will definitely get wet)
- Drink bottle
- Sunhat/Sunscreen, Beanie
- Warm clothes for after the trip
Waikato River Float
- Meet at our store in central Taupo
- Changing rooms/toilets and secure areas for valuables on-site
- Travel in our courtesy shuttle to the beautiful Jerusalem Bay
- Paddle the crystal-clear waters of Lake Taupo to the Maori Rock Carvings.
- At the Maori Rock Carvings you get in-depth information about some of the features, myths and legends of the Carvings – and of course, that much-needed photo!
- On our way back stop off at Flat Rock for complementary refreshments and a swim
- Paddle back to Jerusalem Bay where we head back to base.